Friday, August 2, 2013

Fab Find Friday: Honest Diapers



I am so excited to find Diapers that I absolutely love. When I had McKalyn 3 years ago I was very torn about between using cloth and disposable diapers. I am really big on recycling and hate creating more trash than I need to. Perhaps it is from the lesson on Trash Island I did of my 8th grade science class. I wanted the environmental friendliness of cloth diapers but the convenience of disposable. When she was a few weeks old I realized that cloth was just not practical. I was constantly changing her and she was one of those kids that would poo up to her shoulder blades. Not fun in cloth. So I decided to switch to a more convenient disposable diaper. I had been given a well known brand for my baby shower so I decied to give them a try. By the end of the day she was covered with a rash and by the end of 2 days she had a yeast infection!!! A 1 month old with a yeast infection! Really!! The factor that changed was the diaper I was using. I immediately got rid of the diapers and exchanged what I had left for another brand. I did my research (which I should have done before) and realized that even though the ones I had were "unscented" that did not mean that they were "fragrance free" but actually treated with a chemical to cover the smell. Huh? I also learned about the chemicals that are diapers to help them be more absorbent. One of which was banned from tampons do to toxicity. So now I am putting it on my daughter? Double huh?! I was already using Seventh Generation cleaning products so that is the brand I tried 1st and actually stayed with. I only had 2 complaints: 1.) the absorption was not the best. 2.) They are brown, like paper lunch bag brown. So not cute. Sigh....
Jump ahead 3 years later and I was reading an article on Jessica Alba and her new book Honest and her new company by the same name.  She like me was completely freaked out by chemicals in baby products and clothing.   She also recognized that using all natural and organic product can get VERY EXPENSIVE.  So she created her own line of non-toxic organic products for home and baby.  The trial was less than $6.00 so I though why not.   First let me say how much I love the designs available. I just finished up my sleeve of skull & cross bones and am now on sailboats.  So much cuter than lunch sack brown.  I love that they have a inner net like lining so the moisture is wicked away from Emerson's skin and he is less fussy.  They absorb well, so far only one accident that was my fault and well another blog post. I started using the New Born Sleeve of 40 last Sunday and it is now Friday and I am just finishing up.  That averages about 8 diapers a day which is normal.  I think I average more a day because my son's uncanny ability to poo immediately in a clean diaper.  Sigh.....

For more info on the Honest brand and to order a sample pack you can click here.
For more DIY Trophy Wife tried and test recommended products, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment