Thursday, May 16, 2013

Daiy Planning: Part 2, Setting Your Priorities



Most of us struggle because we are trying to do too much and please too many people.  As a mom I know I do, especially at work.   It has taken a few years to learn that to say "No" to what is not going to work for my family even if it seems like a risk or it is going to make someone unhappy.  For instance, a few weeks ago I was approached by a well know high end Medical Spa looking for an office manager.  They wanted someone to start late this month and even though I am pregnant and due in 7 weeks they were ok with that.  Pretty cool huh?  Well kinda.  The office hours are 8am-6:30pm Tuesday through Friday and Saturday 9am-4pm.  This would mean that I would drop my daughter off at school everyday at 7:30am, I would have to hire a sitter to pick her up from school and watch her until I got home.  Even though the spa closes at 6:30pm I would have to wait until all appointments were done and they close up. Meaning I probably would not leave until close to 7:30pm putting me home close to 8pm. Just in time to put her to bed.  Then Saturday I would have to leave her with my parents or hire a sitter to stay with her all day.  I had to stop and think for a moment.  I was tempted my the money and the position.


However my top 3 priorities are my as follows:
1.  Being a present for my family both as a mom and wife.
2.  Taking care of my health and the health if my family by providing them with the best nutrition possible and the knowledge for them to do it themselves.
3.  To provide a financially secure environment for my family and teach them financial responsibility.


As you can see this position may meet priority number 3 but it bumps number 1 right off the list and makes number 2 very hard. Currently I have a very harried schedule and can find myself working 50 hours a week but, it is my schedule, I am working for myself and I can choose my hours.  I work from home (for me) 80% of the time. The other 20% (teaching classes) I am out of the house. I do work at night, however, I do not take my daughter to school until 10am. So I have most mornings with her. I make her whatever she wants for breakfast. We watch Mickey usually play for a while and off we go.  I am also the one who picks her up from school twice a week and takes her to her gymnastics class. My parents pick her up the other 3 nights. I do teach classes on Saturday mornings but it is also my gym time and I am home by noon. So, even though the position seemed amazing once picked apart it really was not.


Today's assignment is to sit down and figure out your top 3 priorities.  What are the 3 non-negotiable things in your life.  Or maybe they are things that have been compromised that need to find their way back to the top.  Like time with your children or spouse for instance.  Really take time to think and be specific.  Notice I did not say, "spend time with family." I was specific and said, "Being a present for my family both as a mom and wife." 
Once you are done comment below.  I would love to hear what you discovered.
Did you miss Finding Balance Day 1?  Click here to go back

No comments:

Post a Comment